+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CDG to Macon Ville

Smile CDG to Macon Ville

I arrive terminal 1 (I believe--Delta from Salt Lake City) at 11:30 a.m. on Friday August 27 at cdg. I am trying to determine the best way to get to Macon Ville where my hotel is near. There is a train from the CDG train station that leaves at 1:05 p.m. and goes to Lyon and then on to Macon Ville. Can someone give me step to step instructions on how to travel to the CDG train station from terminal 1 to catch train to Macon Ville.--doors, elevators, etc. Is there a more convenient way to buy train tickets to Macon than at the CDG station--i.e., someone mentioned a desk to buy tickets to Eurodisney selling train tickets. Do I have sufficient time in my rummy non-French speaking state to make the connection?

Frank is offline Paris Train Senior Advisor

The best way for you to purchase a train ticket to avoid any language problems is to buy here in the States since you know your destination and I assume your return date. Of course, you can also purchase a one-way ticket to Macon and book the return to CDG in Macon. I suggest you go to internet site raileurope.com to accomplish this. Type in CDG as your starting point and Macon as your ending point. The TGV (high-speed, "bullet" train) from CDG Terminal 2 will take you to Lyon where you will transfer to a TER train (regular, regional train) to Macon. Rail Europe will FedEX the paper tickets to your home so you will have them in-hand before you depart Salt Lake City. You have plenty of time to do this. Easy and painless. I'm very in to "easy and painless."

You could make the 1:01 PM (1:05?) TGV to Lyon but because of your apparent unease, which is understandable, I would book the 2:28 PM TGV to Lyon, transfer at Lyon, and arrive at Macon at 5:14 pm, about 1.5 hours later than the 1:01 PM CDG departure. Most flights from the States arrive close to scheduled times, in your case 11:30 am, probably earlier. Still, I wouldn't chance it.

You will need to transfer from your landing terminal, #1, to the TGV station which is in Terminal 2. To do this, follow the signs from Terminal 1, marked "CDGVAL Airport Shuttle." You can't walk between terminals and this light rail system connects all terminals. The CDGVAL stops at Terminal 3 before it reaches Terminal 2. Something to remember. By taking the later TGV, you will have plenty of time to navigate the system. Once at Terminal 2, look for the TGV signs.

Remember: Follow the overhead signs! I would also phone Delta and ask them what terminal they use in CDG since I believe they use Terminal 2. If Delta uses Terminal 2, your trip to the TGV station will be very easy, although I would still book the 2:28 PM TGV departure.

I think you will be surprised how much written French you know or will be able to figure out. Spoken French, by a French person, is difficult to understand since to the American ear they speak very fast, slur their words. A five-word sentence can sound like one word! Familiarize yourself with basic French written words: Exit is Sortie; Arrive is Arriver, etc. Get a English/French dictionary.
    Last edited by Frank; 08-05-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Default Train from CDG to Macon Ville

Hi (Frank?), I just learned that the Salt Lake to Paris Delta flight (leaving tomorrow) lands at terminal 2E CDG (or at least the operator thought so--I will double check tomorrow). Just wondering if there are precise instructions to make my way to the CDG train station to catch 2:30 p.m. train to Lyon and on to Macon Ville. As wisely advised, I have my train tickets in hand. Current flight arrival is 11 a.m. If by chance I get to the CDG train station with ample time, should I try to exchange my tickets (is it possible?) for earlier train at 1:00 p.m. Some how I can picture myself sitting down at a cafe to wait for 2:30 train and falling asleep. Anyway, if earlier train is possible I would like to take it. What say ye (helpful Frank).

Frank is offline Paris Train Senior Advisor

I thought you would be landing at Terminal 2 at CDG. If you do, just follow the overhead signs for the TGV. Easy. Don't panic! You MIGHT be able to exchange your 2:30 TGV ticket for the 1:00 TGV to Lyon. Some tickets are non-changeable. You might want to call raileurope today and ask, if you can't determine from your ticket, if you are able to change the departure. I still feel the 2:30 TGV is your best choice but you will determine that when you land--early, late, etc. You know, avoid the angst! I don't believe you will fall asleep--too much adrenaline. Assume you get "lost," then the 2:30 departure gives you plenty of time to correct yourself.

That person at Delta should have known exactly where you will arrive, terminal-wise. Airlines "buy" gates. They always land at the same terminal unless there is an emergency.

One final piece of advice. You were issued a paper ticket by raileurope. When you get to the TGV at CDG you will see a machine to "stamp, validate" your ticket. You will see lots of people doing this. You can't use this since the machine takes "card" tickets, not floppy paper. Just get on the train. The conductor will punch it when the train departs.

I returned yesterday after spending two weeks in the South of France in Provence. Great time, great people. So to you, "Bon Voyage." I'd be anxious to read how your trip went when you return!

The best way for you to purchase a train ticket to avoid any language problems is to buy here in the States since you know your destination and I assume your return date. Of course, you can also purchase a one-way ticket to Macon and book the return to CDG in Macon.
    Home Care Jobs

+ Reply to Thread