+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any reason NOT to take RER line C?

Default Any reason NOT to take RER line C?

First, thanks for providing such a great resource.

I've been using your site and the planning utility at http://www.ratp.info to find the best way to get from CDG to our hotel near Rue de l'Universite and Rue de Bourgogne.

Looking at the maps, it seems like a no-brainer to transfer from RER B to RER C at St Michel Notre Dame, and get off at Invalides. Yet the ratp scheduler refuses to give that as an option, no matter how I change the constraints. It always wants us to get on the Metro and either go up to Madeleine or even go down to Denfert-Rochereau and then to Montparnasse-Bienvenue, finally arriving at Assemblee Nationale.

According to the printed schedules, we are not arriving during a time of limited service for the C line. Is there some variable or some wisdom built into the ratp scheduler that is keeping it from suggesting a simple B-to-C-to-Invalides route??

Thanks.

Frank is offline Paris Train Senior Advisor

I see no reason why you can't get to Invalides from CDG by using your proposed route: RER B to C to Invalides, transferring at St. Michel. I went to the website, above and it gave me the route you want. CDG RER B has to departure points: Aeroport Charles de Gaulle 1 RER and Aeroport Charles de Gaulle 2 TGV-RER. Using either one gets you to Invalides via St. Michel.

Why the route planner would take you to Madeleine, and I assume wants you to exit there, is beyond me. It's on the right bank and Invalides is on the left bank. Maybe it wants you to swim across the Seine, huh?

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, Frank.

It doesn't have us get off at Madelaine, it just has us go there and then switch to another route to end up at Assemblee Nationale. Granted, that station is marginally closer to our destination than Invalides. But even when we specify that we want the fewest changes, and that walking distance is not a priority, it still routes us that way. Anyhow, it's great to have this forum where we can query people who really know the system.
    Last edited by bfrederi; 06-21-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Yes, there is a reason . RER C is not running between Gare d'Austerlitz and Invalides from July 19 to August 21 2010;replaced by bus service (if you google SNCF travaux Castor you should find the info. Has been interrupted like that in summer for years and years. Busses are often very crowded. Good luck

ed

Frank is offline Paris Train Senior Advisor

OK, since ed-paris tells you what you can't do, except to take over-crowded busses because Gare Austerlitz is under major renovation, this is what I would do, unless ed-paris has a better SOLUTION to your problem:

Take the RER B train from CDG, direction: Massy-Paliseau, exit at Gare du Nord.
    Take the M4 Metro from Gare du Nord, direction: Port Orleans, exit at Strasbourg-Saint-Denis.
    Take the M8 Metro from S-S-D, direction: Balard, exit at Invalides.

This entire trip should take about one hour.

Another solution is to get to Gare du Nord and taxi to your hotel. Saves you a walk from Invalides to your hotel. Probably the best solution.

Thanks for all the info, Frank and ed. We will have come and gone by the 19th, so I'm hoping that we will just miss the shut-down. Will keep an eye on that situation and use your suggestions for back-up, Frank. Great to be armed with this info.

One other question -- Google maps puts the RER/METRO Invalides station basically at the entrance of Pont Alexandre III. But using Street View to "walk" around the area virtually, it appears that the entrance is actually at the intersection of Rue de l'Universite and Rue Robert Esnault-Pelterie. Is that correct? Is that the only way to get in and out of the Invalides station?

quickest way out when arriving by RER is near pont Alex III, when arriving by Metro near rue de l'université. Longish way under ground when changing from RER to Metro or vce versa. Choose your exit in RER part of station or Metro part as you like.

Thanks Ed. I finally found my answer on Google Street View.

The problem is the that Google Satellite and Map views put the Metro and RER icons right in the middle of traffic at the start of the Alex III bridge. If you then use Steet View to look for signs or stairways or escalators, there's nothing to be seen. I virtually "walked" around the entire area, and could only find the Metro entrance down on Rue de l'Universite.

However, I finally located the RER entrance and sign at the end of the Air France/Gare des Invalides building facing the Alex III bridge. Both were obscured by trees and traffic, but I finally found them.

Thanks again for all the help.

+ Reply to Thread