+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Navigo,Visite vs Carnet

Default Navigo,Visite vs Carnet

Ben,

My husband and I are going to Paris in September. I've been there before and purchased a Carnet. However, this time we will be going to Versailles for the day and was wondering if we should purchase either a Navigo or Visite pass. We will be in Paris for a week.

Thanks,

Mimi

Default Re: Navigo,Visite vs Carnet

Hi Mimi,

If your arriving near the beginning of the week (Monday or Tuesday) and plan to stay within central Paris except for the one excursion out to Versailles, I would recommend buying a Pass Navigo Découverte loaded with a week pass for Zones 1-2 and simply buy single "billet Ile-de-France" tickets for the Versailles trip.

The billet Ile-de-France is a single ticket priced for the zones you'll be traveling, available for purchase from any Metro ticket window. The current cost of Paris to Versailles-Rive Gauche is €2,90, one way ("aller simple").

Purchasing a 4 zone Pass Navigo would be overkill for one trip out to Versailles, in my opinion.

The Carte Paris Visite only comes in two flavours: 1-3 zones and 1-6 zones. The 3 zone Paris Visite card doesn't cover Versailles and the 1-6 zone is again overkill.

To help decide whether you should get a Carnet or a Pass Navigo, ask yourself if you would take two or more Metro/RER/Bus rides per day during your stay. If the answer is yes and you're arriving near the beginning of the week, it makes economic sense to buy the Pass Navigo, as you would be spending more on single tickets, even with the Carnet discount.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Otherwise, have a great trip. Sept. is probably the ideal time to visit Paris.

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Default Re: Navigo,Visite vs Carnet

Ben,

Thanks so much for your prompt answer. I'm a pretty savy shopper, but I can't get a handle on how much the Passe Navigo Decouverte costs. My husband and I will be arriving via Eurostar from London on a Tuesday afternoon and I am going to have photos with me as I read that it is best to bring from home. Since I will be arriving at Garde du Norde, I'm pretty sure I could get the passes there before I leave the station.

Mimi

+ Reply to Thread