+ Reply to Thread

Thread: orly to cdg airport fastest link

Unhappy orly to cdg airport fastest link

hi,
    I am from India and will be travelling with my wife and teenaged daughter to Paris in May end. My flight (AirIndia) from CDG airport has been preponed by half an hour and will depart at 6.30 pm on 6th June 2010. I am returning from Geneva by Easy jet flight on 6th June 2010 for which schedule time of arrival is 3.40 pm at Orley Airport. Can you pls advise:

a) whether there is sufficient time to catch my Air India flight from CDG airport at 6.30 pm
    b) The fastest mode of transportation from Orley to CDG Airport
    c) I am on Schnegan Visa, the time taken for clearance at Orley Airport on Arrival.

I am really worried and thinking whether I should taken another flight or train from Geneva to Paris at the expense of my non refundable Easy Jet air tickets.

Please suggest/advise

Thanks and Regards

V K bhatia

Hi V K,

A) Although your schedule doesn't leave much room for error/bad luck, I believe 2 hours 50 minutes is enough time to make the transfer from Orly Airport to Charles de Gaulle Airport. Granted that: your Geneva flight is on time & your luggage arrives quickly at Orly (if you've checked-in baggage).

B) Fastest route between Orly and CDG Airport would be: Orlyval train from Orly Airport to Antony station along the RER B train line. Then, RER B train direction Aéroport Charles de Gaulle until you arrive at CDG Airport. This trip should take you 1 hour 20 minutes from Orly (south terminal) to CDG (Terminal 2).

C) The customs & immigration at Orly airport upon your arrival from Switzerland should be fast considering that in March of 2009, most controls on passports & goods between Switzerland and Schengen countries was stopped. This doesn't mean the authorities can't perform spot checks on whomever they please. Most likely there won't be a passport control at Orly for your flight arriving from Switzerland.

I hope this helps,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Default Orly to CDG fastest mode of Transfer

Hi Ben,
    True to your reputation the response was amazingly fast.Thanks a lot for same.Now,following quries to again bother you:
    a) If I take Air France Bus /Shared shuttle or a Private Taxi,can I make it within 50 minutes.It is Sunday evening.traffic on road may be lesser than on weekdays.I understand this may be expensive.We are 3 adults.Can u pl. suggest some reputed and reliable Service.
    b)I will not be having check in baggage (only hand bags?strollers).
    c)I hope Easy Jet flights are normally on time
    d)Reporting time at Air India counter for Delhi flight is Atleast 2 hours.
    Shall I take the risk? Any further help...........

Further on Wednesday, 26th May, I intend to take RER line B3 from CDG to Gare du nord on my arrival from India at around 7 PM.And further to Porte de Clichy where my Hotel is located.Pl help in following:
    i) Will it be too crowded at that time on a weekday going towards city.
    ii)For Porte de Clichy right place to change. RER line C and line 13 go through Porte de Clichy.
    iii)Fare and can I use tickets I intend to buy fir useage in Paris city Zone 1. I intend to buy Carnet of Tickets on my arrival at airports itself on my arrival.(like on 350 route you can give 3 such tkts per person)OR pay extra fare with these Tickets.
    Thanks in anticipation..........................REGARDS..... ...................V.K.BHATIA
    Last edited by vkbhatia; 04-09-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I have not received a reply

Hi VK,

Surprisingly, traffic on Sunday evenings around Paris, especially on the Périphérique, may not be quieter than normal and you truly are at mercy of the traffic on any given day. Without any traffic, Google Maps gives a travel time of 39 minutes by car between Orly & Charles de Gaulle Airports. Thus, theoretically, you can make it via taxi within 50 minutes, if there are no problems with traffic. Any of the taxi's on the Aeroports de Paris website I assume are reputable.

The RER B train from CDG Airport to Paris at 7-8PM should be reasonably quiet, especially if you take an express RER B (any RER B train with four letter "mission" or "itinerary" starting with letter K such as KROL, which makes no stops in between Aéroport CDG 1 and Gare du Nord, which sees much fewer passengers than the RER B train which makes 9 stops between CDG & Gare du Nord. Learn more about RER B train mission/itinerary using an RER B train schedule).

The route from CDG to Porte de Clichy: Aeroport CDG 1 or 2 to Paris Gare du Nord, transfer to Metro 2 La Chapelle direction Porte Dauphine, transfer at Place de Clichy to Metro Line 13 direction Asnières Gennevilliers until Porte de Clichy station.

I would recommend buying a single Billet Ile-de-France for this trip, which covers both the RER and Metro right through to Porte de Clichy, costing 8,50€ per person. In general, I don't recommend the regular city buses like the 350 unless you are quite familiar with the stops and the surroundings, as it can become difficult to know where you are and when you should descend to make transfers.

A carnet of Ticket t+ which you cab purchase from the Airport RER train station ticket counter or any other Metro/RER station are good for travel anywhere within the Metro system, or the RER up to Zone 2.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Thanks Ben for useful pieces of information which I am sure will come handy during my first trip to Paris coming May month.Your Paris by train provides almost all information on the subject. Can you please also guide on the following:
    1.Gare de lyon to CDG route,fare and time taken.Is it the same ticket (Billet- Ille -de- France) or something else ?
    2.Validity of Billet-Ille-de-France before boarding the RER train.(once boarded I now understand that u hve to complete your journey in 1 and a 1/2 hours.)
    3.Can I buy return ticket from Gare de Lyon to CDG travel on 6th June at the time of my buying CDG to Gare du nord Billet.Is it called Return ticket.Its validity for return journy and fare.
    Thanking you .................Vinay (V K BHATIA)

Hi VK,

Train from Gare de Lyon to CDG Airport route: RER A from Gare de Lyon to Chatelet Les Halles, transfer to RER B direction Aéroport CDG until you arrive at your terminal (either T1 or T2). Same type of ticket, Billet Ile-de-France, for 8,50€.

The Billet Ile-de-France doesn't have an expiry date before use. You can buy a ticket and use it 6 months later if you wanted.

You can buy return tickets upon your arrival at CDG Airport or at any other time. Return tickets are simply 2 tickets of the same type, one you will use for the arrival trip and another for the return. In French the ticket seller would ask: "Aller-Retour?" [Alleh-Ray-Tour] to ask if you wanted return tickets.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Default gare du nord transfer

Hi Ben, Thanks a lot once again.few more quries :
    i)From CDG 2 Porte de Clichy, is it convenient (& faster) to change at La Chapplel or i can go further ahead and take a transfer at St.Michel Norte Dame to Yellow Line C.
    ii) Does Billet Ille-Ile-de France return cost less than 2 simple Billet Ile-de -France. And,
    iii)Porte de Clichy to a)Eiffel tower, b)Trimph de arc and c) Pyramides rouytes and time taken to cover them.............THANKS & Regards.......................V K BHATIA
    Last edited by vkbhatia; 04-23-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Still Awating reply....THANKS

Hi Ben,
    This is a very good info regarding a similar question of mine. Am arriving Orly by Royal Air Maroc from Oujda, Morocco on Nov. 8 at 11:10
    and departing CDG 2C by Emirates airlines at 14:30. To facilitate I decided to have a carry-on-luggage only. Just a few questions:
    How long is the customs/immigration formalities at Orly for arrrivals from Morocco? What's the exit letter ( different sites give different
    letters -A, J, K ) at Orly arrival to go to Orlyval. Can I buy a combine ticket Orlyval-Antony-RER B3? How may minutes does it take from RERB3 arrival at CDG2 to go to terminal 2C for Emirates?

Thank you and best regards,
    Hadjisoc

Hi Hadjisoc,

I find French customs/immigration very quick. For me, they look at my passport quickly, stamp it and give it back. I don't believe I ever seen anyone questioned by an official who checks passports. The people checking suspicious luggage on the other hand, can and have definitely given people a very thorough search. Although, if you're carrying only carry-on luggage, there's very little chance you would be subject to search.

In Orly Airport, simply follow the signs that say "Orlyval" rather than searching for a certain exit letter.

You can purchase the complete transport ticket from the Orlyval ticket booth which will have a ticket seller to help you purchase your fare.

Walking time between CDG Terminal 2 RER B train station and Terminal 2C would be about 15 minutes. But, you of course have to pass through security which can be anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on line-ups.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Hi Ben,
    Thanks a lot for your advise. It would be a great help.

Best reagrds,
    Hadjisoc

+ Reply to Thread