+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Train/Metro ticket question

Default Train/Metro ticket question

I plan to buy a train ticket from Charles de Gaulle airport to Gare du Nord then transfer two times on metro lines to get to my apartment. Your site states:

A billet Ile-de-France allows connections or transfers to be made onto Metro or RER trains when arriving at Paris.

Does this mean if I buy a train ticket at the airport that I can use that same ticket to transfer onto Metro line 5 then Metro line 8? I can do all of this with that one ticket?

Thanks.

Hi Ann-Marie,

You're correct. With that single billet Ile-de-France that you bought from CDG Airport to get into Paris, you can make as many connections on the RER or Metro within Paris, as you need to get to your final destination (granted that it occurs within 1.5 hours of initial use, which should be plenty of time to make it to your final destination).

Also note, you cannot exit any station and then re-enter using that same ticket. You must remain within the Metro/RER system to continue to use that ticket for transfers.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Thanks for doing this, Ben!

I will be doing the above in reverse -- from downtown Paris to CDG. I will need to go Metro then RER. AND we'll be boarding the Metro at about 0645 on a Sunday morning.

(1) Can I get the Metro ride included in my RER fare, as you describe above?
    (2) Can I buy a billet on Saturday and just activate it Sunday morning?
    (3) Assuming I do have to take my chances on Sunday, is my best bet to carry enough Euro coins to get two €8.40 tickets? I

Hi Aardvark,

1) Yes. When you enter the Metro system, at whichever station you're at, buy your ticket either from the ticket counter (if it's open!) or from a Paris Metro ticket machine (make sure you have 8,50€ in coins) and purchase a ticket to Aéroport Charles de Gaulle. Use this ticket for both the Metro & the RER.
    2) Definitely! Buy your ticket for the Paris to CDG by train at any time you like. The RER B/Metro ticket will not expire unused.
    3) The price was out of date on my article on Paris to CDG by train. I've now updated it to 8,50€, which is the current fare. I'd recommend buying the tickets during the day, the day before you travel, using Euro cash, at any Metro ticket counter, so you don't have to lug around a bunch of coins and plug them all in one by one at a Paris Metro ticket machine.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post

1) Yes. When you enter the Metro system, at whichever station you're at, buy your ticket either from the ticket counter ...
    Thanks again. Now to read the rest of the forum ...

Default RER & Métro on same ticket?

A related question about RER--Métro transfers:

If I am staying within Paris, can I use the same Métro ticket for both? In other words, if I take the RER from Pont d'Alma to St. Michel, can I then transfer to the Métro with the same ticket?

Thanks!
    john

Hi John,

You can transfer from Paris Metro to Paris RER using the same train ticket (a ticket t+ good for the RER within Paris Fare zones 1 & 2 and anywhere along the Metro). The RER/Metro/Ticket t+ is good for 90 minutes of travel.

You can read more about the Paris Metro here.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Again thanks. I'd asked some native Parisians and they didn't even know. --jt

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Hi John,

You can transfer from Paris Metro to Paris RER using the same train ticket (a ticket t+ good for the RER within Paris Fare zones 1 & 2 and anywhere along the Metro). The RER/Metro/Ticket t+ is good for 90 minutes of travel.

You can read more about the Paris Metro here.

Best regards,

Ben
    Ben,

I will be arriving on the ICE at the Paris Est Station from Frankfurt and then take the #4 Metro To Montparnasse to connect with the TGV to Angers. Does this option for free Metro Travel apply in this case , too?

Thanks, Texoma

Hi Texoma,

To the best of my knowledge, no, unfortunately not, you'll have to purchase a regular Paris Metro Ticket t+ which will cost 1,60€ from either a Paris Metro ticket vending machine or from the ticket counter.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

+ Reply to Thread