+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which train to/from Versailles?

Question Which train to/from Versailles?

I see two different trains running into Versailles - Rive Driote Station and Rive Gauche Station. I understand they are two different lines. What is the difference between the two (besides stations/stops)? Why would I choose one over the other?

Apologies for the silly question but most cities only have one choice for trains...

Well, lots of towns and cities have more than one line and/or station, usually for historical reasons, due to what companies wanted to build a railway line, where they could get land for the station and line and where they wanted the line to run to. But it hardly matters, just choose the line that goes closest to where you want to be, or how frequent the trains are, or where the trains start from and how convenient it is for your journey.

If you are a tourist wanting to visit the Chateau of Versailles, then the Rive Gauche station on RER Line C is the closest. But if it suited your starting point, then catching one of the trains from Paris St. Lazare to the Rive Droit station would be an alternative. It's not much further.

I will be arriving at Gare de Lyon by train. Can I get on the RER C to Versailles there?

No, the RER line C doesn't run through Gare de Lyon. You would need to walk, take a bus, Metro or train to a station that does such as the Gare d'Austerlitz. Buses 91 or 24 only take about 3 minutes.

+ Reply to Thread