+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dilemma on which train option to choose

Default Dilemma on which train option to choose

Hi,

We are a party of 5, 2 adults and 3 children and this is a very last minute booking. I am travelling to CDG airport on Sunday the 14th arriving at 09:30 and I shall be staying in the city centre for 2 nights, 3 days (from the 14th-16th). On the third day I will be travelling to Eurodisney. I am confused as to which is the cheapest option for us to travel when using the RER/metro as regards day tickets.

Seeing Sunday will be a full day as we arrive in the morning (09:30 am) I was thinking we might as well opt for a day ticket, which means we either have to buy full day zone 1-5 to get from the airport to the hotel and tour the city for the rest of the day or buy a 2 day zone 1-5 costing approx. €114.6 (2 adults, children * other child is a 2 yr old (38.2*2)+(19.1*2). This will however mean I will be buying a dearer ticket for zones which I will not make use of on my second day and I still need to buy a separate one way ticket to Eurodisney for the third day (16th) + other tickets to make the connection to RER A to Eurodisney.

In Summary I need the following:

On Sunday, transfer from CDG and tour the city centre (Day 1 - One time travel from Zone 5)
    On Monday, tour the city centre (Day 2 - Zones 1-3)
    On Tuesday I need to use the metro and RER A to Eurodisney. (Day 3 - Zones 1-5)

Total pax =5 ( 2 adults, 3 children aged 10,9 and 2)

Which is the cheapest/best option?

I thank you in advance for your help.

I'm sorry that I don't have time to do a full workup of all the options but here are a few points. There are two day passes - the Visite (where the 1-5 zone version IS valid for the airports) and the much cheaper Mobilis (where the 1-5 zone version is NOT valid for the airports.). The rule of thumb is that for an airport journey a single ride ticket plus inner zone (1-2) pass is usually cheaper than a 1-5 zone pass. The Visite pass is also not good value unless you plan to use the museum entry discounts that it offers - if you won't be taking advantage of these, buy the Mobilis day passes in the zones you need.

It is more complicated for the children as the Mobilis does not have a child version whereas the Visite does have, but please also note the following. If you are in Paris on either a Saturday or Sunday, anyone under the age of 26 can qualify for an unlimited travel pass called the Ticket Jeunes Weekend. Basically itīs the same as a Mobilis Pass but costs much less at only 3.55€ for each day of any Saturday, Sunday or holiday. This would suit your situation for Day 1 for the children. It says "unlimited" so I believe will include the airports.

Edit: It's 3 euros for Zones 1-2, about 8 euros for Zones 1-5. And, being a Mobilis, it might not include the airports, in which case you would need a single ride ticket. But the 3.55 euros for unlimted travel in Zones 1-2 is as cheap as you're going to get.
    Last edited by scirocco; 09-10-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Thank you gor the tips! Very useful.

+ Reply to Thread