+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7.5 hour layover in Paris

Default 7.5 hour layover in Paris

Hello everyone! I apologize if this has been thoroughly asked before:

I'm flying to turkey through Airfrance and I have a 7.5 hour layover in CDG. I understand that the luggage is handled "internaly", which means that I wouldn't need to care for it until I arrive at my destination.

My question is: do I have enough time to go visit some of the iconic places in Paris, such as the Eiffel tower, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe and Champs Élysées?

If I do have the time to do some of the above, would the best option be buying a "Paris Visite Card" (http://parisbytrain.com/paris-visite-pass-card/) for zones 1-5 for a day?

You have enough time to do a quick tourist visit, but don't expect to get everywhere due to limited time. Notre Dame is a good starting point as it's the second stop on the airport train line. Forget about going up the Eiffel Tower due to long queues but you could probably have a look at it from the ground.

Count on minimum of:
    30-60 minutes to get through Immigration
    15 minutes to get to the train station and wait for a train
    1 hour to get to central Paris
    1 hour to travel back
    60-90 minutes to get back airside and into the lounge for your flight (assuming you already have your onward boarding pass - allow more time if you have to re-check-in)

The Paris Visite 1 day 5 zone version at 23 euros is not much more than the cost of single ride tickets to and from CDG plus single ride metro tickets. It may be worthwhile if you buy it in advance as it will save you time waiting in queues for tickets which is important in your case. (Although if you have euro coins or a European chip and pin credit card, you can use the ticket machines which are quicker).

Just don't forget to check if your Paris Visit Card include the tickets from and to the airport. If it's not the case, forget it.

For the Eiffel Tower, you may want to buy skip the line tickets before your flight. Or go to the 2nd floor by the stairs, there's often far less people.

Another nice way of discovering Paris would be to use the flyboats (http://layoverinparis.com/paris-layo...plane-to-boat/) - but that would be the only thing you do if you want to make a river cruise.

(Disclaimer: I'm the owner of the layoverinparis.com website)

Default Plan

I have the following plan

11.30 land
    12.30 Be at the RER station
    13.30 Notre-dame RER station, have a quick look at the cathedral
    14.00 Get to Chatelet station, change metro at Concorde
    14.20 Arrive at Ecole Militaire station, go for a quick peek of the Eiffel Tower (would not try to climb it)
    15.15 Be at Ecole Militaire, get back to Concorde and then switch towards Chatelet station
    15.40 Take the RER at Chatelet
    16.40 Arrive at CDG 2
    18.55 Take off

Is this schedule too tight? I'm arriving from south america, and then departing to Turkey, I don't know if that makes a difference in the time spent on security posts.
    Last edited by RPND; 05-29-2014 at 12:22 AM.

It should work okay but a couple of things to watch for are (a) it will be getting very busy on the RER as you head back out to CDG - not that it affects anything, but be prepared for packed trains and (b) both Chatelet and Gare du Nord are very large and busy stations. I have been to them both many times and I still get disoriented occasionally. I suggest avoiding them.

St Michel-Notre Dame station is much simpler and smaller. An alternative would be to transfer at St Michel-ND from the airport RER B onto the RER C line that runs from there to the station Champ de Mars / Tour Eiffel, and follow the same route in reverse back to CDG when you have finished. You can come above ground at St Michel ND to have a look at the cathedral.

Take care to get on the right train when returning to CDG. The RER B line has two branches and only one goes to the airport. The TV monitors on the platform will tell you where the train is going.

Default Rer

Great! I'll take the RER to Champ de Mars then, sounds like a much simpler and safer plan.

+ Reply to Thread