+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Velib and Monthly Navigo Passes

Default Velib and Monthly Navigo Passes

Hi,

My first question (rhetorical!) is how you know all this stuff?! Its great.

My real question is about Velib use with the navigo pass ... I'm in Paris for 2 months and have mostly been using the Velib bicycles for transport; I've been buying weekly Velib passes with my Navigo pass for 5 euros. For my occassional metro travel I've been buying a carnet of tickets. A friend told me today that if you buy a monthly Navigo pass (for the metro) you can also use it for free on the Velib system ... is this true??

Merci beaucoup for your help
    Lisa.

Hi Lisa,

The Passe Navigo yearly pass known as a Passe Navigo Integrale (and possibly the regular Passe Navigos, not sure though), allows you to use this pass as your Vélib pass as well. This doesn't give you cost-free access to the Vélib service, just that you don't need a separate Vélib card to use the service.

With a Passe Navigo, you still have to have a credit card to leave a deposit of 150€ and to pay for the subscription of your choice, which can be done at the Vélib automated vending machines.

If you're comfortable reading French, you can read more about Vélib on Wikipedia.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Hi,

My followup question is whether or not you can use a credit card without the smart chip to pay for the Velib service and deposit after accessing Velib with your Passe Navigo. My understanding is that normally you access the Velib service with a credit card which has the smart chip which excludes many visitors, especially those from the USA. I am hoping that if you can use your 5e Passe Navigo to access the Velib service then you can use a credit card without the smart chip to pay for the Velib service and the required deposit. This would be a great work around for visitors without the credit card with the smart chip. Is this possible?

Thanks,

loyug

Anybody???

+ Reply to Thread