+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bikes on Trains and Buses

Question Bikes on Trains and Buses

Is it possible to take bikes on the RER trains and if so, what are the rules? For example, in London it is okay to take bikes on the underground but only on and off at stations that are above ground (yes, some underground stations are NOT underground!).

In particular, I am interested in the RER train from Paris CDG to (for example) Montparnasse?

If this cannot be done, does anybody know if the Air France buses will take a bike either in its normal state, or packed in a bike box?

Thanks!

Cathie

Hi Cathie,

You're supposed to avoid peak hours with your bicycle on the RER and Metro trains which means morning rush hour (8-9:30) and evening rush hour (5-7:30).

I'd also recommend you take the RER train car at either extreme end, front or back, which are usually quite quiet compared to dead centre.

Best regards and enjoy your trip,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Default Bikes on trains - access and airports!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I also found out in case anybody else is interested and since getting to and from the airport is part of my concern, that the Air France buses from Charles De Gaulle and Orly will take bikes, either boxed or not - though they advise a box for safety of the bike.

You didn't say whether for the RER you could get on with a bike at stations that are under the ground - in London you are definitely NOT allowed to use these stations. In Washington DC you are (similar rules re rush hour) - so this is a variable thing from one underground system to another.

Thanks again!

Cathie

Most major RER stations have a special disabled persons gate which allows easy access for those in a wheelchair or for those with a bicycle or strollers, etc. These would make access quite easy for you.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Thanks Ben!

+ Reply to Thread