+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Day trip to Paris mother and 9 yr.old daughter

Default Day trip to Paris mother and 9 yr.old daughter

Arriving Gare du Nord around 11:00 a.m. on weekday--return train Eurostar leaves 9:13 p.m. Trying to plan a day with lots packed in but not too crazy. Would it be possible to walk to Montmartre from Gare du Nord or would that use up valuable walking energy--better to take Metro if so which one? Probably start tour of Montmartre from Pigalle. After couple of hours in Montmartre plan to take Metro to Charles de Gaulle, see Champs Ellysees, then off to Eiffel Tower by taking Metro to Bir Hakeim? After that loose plan is to walk along the Seine and stop at various spots--possibly go into Musee d'Orsay, stop at Place de Concorde, Jardin De Tuileries, Hotel des Invalides, then Ile de Cite and Ile St. Louis. Does that seem way too much--if so which would you recommend leaving off or perhaps including that we haven't thought of? When would we have to make it to Cite Metro to (very) safely make it back to Gare Du Nord for 9:13 train, especially as not familiar with Paris Metro. Any hot tips re: place to eat--inexpensive baguettes etc.? Thanks!

Frank is offline Paris Train Senior Advisor

Your proposed itinerary seems too ambitious for a day trip, especially with a 9-year-old. Upon arrival at Gare du Nord I would walk (relatively short distance) to the foot of Montmartre, take the funicular to the top, explore the area and have lunch somewhere in Montmartre.

I would then take the Metro from the Anvers station which is at the foot of Montmartre to the Charles de Gaulle-Etoile stop, the Arch of Triumph. Go to the top of the Arch of Triumph. From there you will get a spectacular view of the city and see the boulevards radiating from the Arch.

You can then walk along the Champs Elysees until you get to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Metro station. Take the Metro to the Trocadero stop. You will be near the Seine, across from the Eiffel Tower. Go to the Palais de Chaillot. At this point you will be directly across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower and get a great view of the tower. A full view, since if you use the Metro and come out at Bir Hakeim you will be very close to the tower and the view will not be as good. You can walk across a bridge which is directly in front of the tower. I suggested you go to the top of the Arch of Triumph because the lines can be very long to get into the various levels of the tower, even on a weekday, and to me you are too high, although you will see the entire city, which to me is rather unremarkable.

I would the retrace my steps and take the Metro from Trocadero back to Franklin D. Roosevelt. From FDR take the Metro and you can stop at Place de la Concorde (the beginning of the Champs Elysees), Jardin de Tuileries, Louvre Museum, close to Notre Dame, Ile de Cite.

The trip back to Gare du Nord from the Cite area should be relatively quick, 20 minutes. Since most public buildings are not open at night, you might consider getting back to Gare du Nord early and having dinner in the area so you don't miss your 9:13 pm Eurostar.

Note that I have kept you on the right bank of the Seine, except for the Eiffel Tower.

You must download a Paris Metro map (to get Metro numbers and direction the Metro is traveling that I wrote about) and a Paris street map so you can visualize what I wrote. Many people will have other ideas about a day trip in Paris. Obviously, this is my opinion. I tried to consider the stamina of a 9-year-old--and you, too!

Default Further question re: day trip to Paris with 9 yr. old daughter

Thank you very much for your reply and for all your helpful suggestions, they are very much appreciated. Since our day could include 3 to 5 metro rides each which would be our best option for Metro tickets--separate billets, a "carnet", or the Mobilis pass? If the best option is the Mobilis pass, how much is it and is there a reduced rate for kids? Does it seem particularly crazy to try and stop into the Musee D'Orsay for an hour or so to satisfy my daughter's artistic leanings given all our stops (Montmartre, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Place de Concorde, Tuileries (will it be worth going to the Tuileries in March?) and finally the islands? I'm guessing we would need an hour or two for the islands? I was wondering about buying an online ticket for the Musee d'Orsay. How often do the trains run from Cite to Gare Du Nord in the evening? Final question-- is it possible to buy baguettes/sandiches for under 10 Euros in Montmartre etc.? I've been told 60 or 70 Euros would be enough for an "economic" day in Paris?! Thank you for your patience and again for your help, Linda

Frank is offline Paris Train Senior Advisor

The Mobilis ticket seems to be your best buy since you and your daughter's itinerary then can be as fluid as you want and you will not have to stand in line at some point during your day if you require more individual tickets. The Mobilis tickets are about 6 Euros each. I don't believe there is a child's Mobilis. A carnet is about 12 Euros for 10 tickets.

If your daughter wants to see the paintings, etc., at Musee D'Orsay, that is your decision to make. If you downloaded Metro and street maps as previously suggested, you can alter your public transport routes to accomplish this. I would be inclined to do D'Orsay, especially if your 9-year-old has expressed interest. Any 9-year-old who wants to go to a museum, rather than Disney, should be encouraged, right? Buying a ticket online to D'Orsay locks you in. I would wait to see how the day goes since you might be sidetracked when you get there and want to do something else.

The Tuileries is a park. That's all it is--to me. It connects the Place de la Concorde with Napoleon's Arch and the Louvre Museum. So, specifically planning to be there other than using it as a connection between the two? Your choice. I would try, though to at least see the very modern glass pyramid entrance to the Louvre without going into the museum. You definitely don't have time for that.

Spending an hour or two on the two islands is about the time you need. As you know, Notre Dame is located on Cite.

The trains from Cite to Gare du Nord run very frequently during the evening. Getting back to Gare du Nord will not be a problem.

Unfortunately, I can't help you on cost of the day. I'm sure it can be done for the price you quoted; but how, where, etc., I don't know. I try to forget prices when I'm in Paris since it is a major world city and like all major world cities can be expensive, even for the simplist things!

One thing I will caution you about: make sure you have your eye on the clock. From the areas you will be in central Paris it probably will be quite easy to get back to Gare du Nord via Metro. That is why you must have a Metro map with you.

Sorry for my very late response--just wanted to thank you again for your excellent advice and helpfulness. Thanks!

The most unforgettable place I visited in Paris is the Louvre Museum and Eiffel Tower. I just love the view on top of the great metal top.

+ Reply to Thread