+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TGV tickets

Default TGV tickets

Hi,

I have recently purchased TGV tickets for 2 adults and 1 child travelling from Monaco to Paris (Disney station). Opting to have the tickets delivered to my address here in Australia. I was given two booking numbers. One booking number for the 2 adults tickets and another booking number for my son's ticket. I wasn't particularly worried when I was given the two booking numbers at first.

However, I had just received today, only the tickets for the adults. (2 tickets actually: one for Monaco-Nice and another for Nice-Paris Disney). Haven't received my son's ticket. Although a little worried, I'm willing to wait another 2 days (since tomorrow is a holiday here in Australia) before I'm going in a panic mode

That's not my question though. Just a little side story What I'm confused was, I only received one ticket for the 2 adults travelling (for each leg of the journey). Is this norm? Aren't we supposed to received one for each of us? Though in the ticket it does stated 2 adults and the fare for two adults. It seems like we are supposed to share the ticket. Something i never seen before when buying any tickets. Hope you can confirm to me that it is normal for 2 adults travelling together sharing one ticket, and for a child to have their tickets send separately.

Another question I have is, we are planning on using the train to go to the Paris airport from the Disney station for our flight back home. Which train do you suggest? We would have big luggages travelling with us thus want to ensure the trains are suitable for such travel needs.

Sorry for the many questions. This will be our first time in Paris and I've found your website to be extremely useful. Thanks a lot

Jooles

Frank is offline Paris Train Senior Advisor

I would definitely telephone the ticket issuing agency, since I've never experienced one ticket for two people, especially on the TGV. TGV tickets are very much like airline tickets--date, time, train car number where your seats are located, specific seat assignments (numbers), printed on the ticket. As for your son's ticket, at times tickets do arrive separately, but I've not experienced this either. I would also question that unless you receive the ticket very shortly. While I would not "panic" at this point, unless your trip is in the very near future, I would get this clarified as soon as possible for your own peace of mind. One thing you don't want to do is to be in Monaco and think to yourself, "Now what?"

Assuming you are departing France for Australia from Charles de Gaulle Airport, there is a TGV train from the Disney station directly to CDG Airport. You will be able to bring luggage on board the car in which you are traveling (a very short distance, 15 minutes?) and store it at the entrance. This is not a cheap trip for this short distance. You might want to consider a taxi although you can determine this part of your trip once you arrive at Disney.

Thanks for the info Frank.

I did find it confusing receiving only one ticket for 2 adults traveling together. However, the ticket did have our seat assignments just as it were when we made the booking (2 seat numbers for each of us). Although only the booker's name was printed in the tix. That's why I'm assuming we will be sharing the ticket. But still, it's confusing. I will definitely contact them to confirm about it. Will also enquire about my son's tix. Don't wanna to end up with him stranded in Monaco w/o tix. He's only 5!!! Why they didn't send them together considering he's a child really baffled me.

Regarding the transport option from Disney to CDG airport, do you know roughly how much it will cost us by taxi?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Jooles

Yes, I agree that you don't want a 5-year-old stranded in Monaco. If he were a teenager that might be a different story, right? I've gone through the teenage years with two sons!

Your two people on one ticket seems OK since you have seats assigned, although I would still contact the issuing agency, especially about your son's ticket. Again, peace of mind.

I don't know the taxi fare (or shuttle van fare which you might also consider) from the Disney area to CDG. This you can check at your hotel at Disney. I would wait until I got to Disney to plan the trip from there to CDG so you can compare prices. The cheapest TGV fares from Marne La Vallee (Disney's rail station) to CDG, second class, remember it's a very short trip, will cost you about 42 to 65 Euros for the three of you, depending on time of departure. I quoted Euros since I'm in the US and didn't want to get into converting US Dollars to Australian Dollars! Too confusing for me.

Have a wonderful time in France.

Thanks Frank. You have been a great help.

Just to mention too that I bought the tickets online from TGV-Europe in case anyone else had the same experience as me or for future buyers.

Jooles

Quote Originally Posted by Jooles View Post
    However, I had just received today, only the tickets for the adults. (2 tickets actually: one for Monaco-Nice and another for Nice-Paris Disney). Haven't received my son's ticket. Although a little worried, I'm willing to wait another 2 days (since tomorrow is a holiday here in Australia) before I'm going in a panic mode
    If your son's ticket doesn't arrive before you leave, make sure that you take with you the booking reference/paperwork you were given AND the credit card used to make the booking (this is important). You should simply be able to go to the ticket window at the station in Monaco and they will issue the ticket from there. (This is actually one of the normal ticket collection methods, so will not be anything out of the ordinary for them). Leave yourself plenty of time to do this as there can often be long queues. If there are multiple windows sometimes there will be a little British flag if the ticket seller speaks English - can be helpful if your French is not fluent.

From Paris

RER A4 runs from central Paris to Marne-la-Vallee Chessy, with frequent trains taking 35 min for the journey. Be aware that a Paris Metro ticket is valid on RER only for travel within Zone 1 (Disneyland Resort Paris is in Zone 5). If you use a Paris Visite pass, make sure that it reads 'Zones 1-6' and not 'Zones 1-3. In either case, using an invalid ticket will result in a 25 fine.
    The seven main rail terminals in central Paris, the trains that serve them, and directions from them to RER A4 are explained in the chart below. All of them are served by the Metro and/or RER.
    Station Services Directions to RER A4 Gare du Nord Thalys
    Eurostar
    TGV
    Transilien Paris-Nord
    TER Picardie RER B or D to Chatelet Les-Halles Gare de l'Est TGV
    InterCity Express
    TER Alsace
    TER Champagne-Ardenne
    Transilien Paris-Est
    Venice-Simplon Orient Express Paris Metro Line 4 to Les Halles
    or Line 5 to Quai de la Rapee Gare Saint-Lazare 23 Transilien lines
    4 Grandes Lignes lines Walk to Auber Gare de Lyon 4 Transilien lines
    3 Grandes Lignes lines
    TGV Served by RER A4 Gare de Bercy Auto trains Paris Metro Line 14 to Gare de Lyon Gare d'Austerlitz Paris-Bordeaux main line
    Paris-Toulouse main line
    Elipsos Walk to Gare de Lyon Gare Montparnasse TGV
    TER Centre
    TER Basse Normandie Paris Metro Line 4 to Chatelet
    or Line 6 to Nation

Thanks to Frank, Scirocco and David55 for your helpful info and tips.

Just to follow-up on the tickets, we did finally received my son's ticket and after emailing tgv-Europe about our concern on the validity of the tickets, they reassured us that all tickets issued by them can use with no problem. Although that was before I received my son's ticket which they have combined the two stations (Monte Carlo-nice and nice-Disney) in one ticket. I thought we're supposed to get the tickets validated through a machine before we board the train and how are we supposed to do that with just one ticket? Hahaha... Weird. Anyway, we're just gonna take their word that their tickets will be alright to use. But will definitely be bringing with us the copy of the booking we made just in case there's a problem.

I assume you were issued paper-type tickets, like the old airline tickets--floppy paper. You can't validate these at the machine at the train gates. You will notice that the people validating tickets have a card-type ticket--heavy paper stock. Get on the train. The conductor at some point will ask for your tickets.

+ Reply to Thread