+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baggage storage at CDG RER station

Default Baggage storage at CDG RER station

Hello
    With a 7 hour layover at CDG I'd like to take a train into Paris for lunch. I would like to find a place at the train station to check a backpack or two so I don't have to carry the weight. Checked baggage will be taken by the airline.

Are there accomodations for checking baggage at the train station at CDG?
    Thanks

Default Re: Baggage storage at CDG RER station

Hi Lori,

I'm not aware of any baggage storage facilities right at the train station at CDG, but I do remember a kiosk within Terminal 2F, ground floor (arrivals level). See the article on Luggage Storage at CDG for more information on left luggage at CDG.

Best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Ben,
    I have read your posts, (trying to combine a few for added clarity) and wondered if these compiled directions from CDG to bir-HaKeim from your various posts make sense. We have a 6 hour layover at CDG originating at the American Airlines Terminal (2-A, I think) on this coming Sunday, 2/16/09 at 8:35 a.m.:

1. To get from our airport terminal to the gare RER B located at Terminal 2A, could use the airport shuttle, Navette ADP*, or the travolater (conveyor walkway.)
    However, First we will check our luggage at CDG Terminal 2A - Gate 3 Departures level ...
    2. Then we plan to go to Level 4 and take the RER B (blue) train line from CDG Airport to Paris. The stops would be:
    a. Gare du Nord followed by Châtelet - Les Halles and then Saint-Michel-Notre-Dame
    b. Continuing in the Direction of Antony, Robinson, St-Remy-les-Chevreuse (Denfert Rochereau) and will take about 40-45 minutes, then switching to the Metro Line 6 (Green line with black lettering) at Gare Montparnasse. Alight at Bir-Hakeim. All you need to do is say "Paris" to the ticket seller. the ticket will cost 8.40 euros.
    Access by Train
    The RER is Paris's system of fast suburban trains, and you'll be taking the one designated RER B3 into the city. Take Roissy CDG 2/TGV, in the Terminal 2 complex. In Terminal 2, take the Blue shuttle to the TGV-RER station. Note, the designation B3 refers to the branch of the B train system that goes to and from the airport (among other places). This is more important when you're coming back to the airport. In this case, be sure to get on a B3, not a B5.

Many, many thanks for your help and advice!!

Regards,
    Gail Karp in Davenport, Iowa.

Hi Gail,

See my notes in italics below.

Quote Originally Posted by gailkarp

1. To get from our airport terminal to the gare RER B located at Terminal 2A, could use the airport shuttle, Navette ADP*, or the travolater (conveyor walkway.)
    However, First we will check our luggage at CDG Terminal 2A - Gate 3 Departures level ...
    2. Then we plan to go to Level 4 and take the RER B (blue) train line from CDG Airport to Paris. The RER train station in Terminal 2 is located between between 2D & 2F. It's true that you need to be on the top floor (Level 4) to enter the station area, but most important to realize is its location with respect to the other sub-terminals of Terminal 2. See the map of CDG Airport showing the airport's layout. (Courtesy of ADP.)
    The stops would be:
    a. Gare du Nord followed by Châtelet - Les Halles and then Saint-Michel-Notre-Dame
    b. Continuing in the Direction of Antony, Robinson, St-Remy-les-Chevreuse (Denfert Rochereau) and will take about 40-45 minutes, then switching to the Metro Line 6 (Green line with black lettering) at Gare Montparnasse. The RER B doesn't cross Gare Montparnasse, but rather, Denfert Rochereau station, where you'll need to transfer onto the Metro Line 6 direction Etoile, in order to get to Bir-Hakeim station. To get a better idea of how the lines interconnect, see my article on Paris Metro Maps (includes RER lines in Paris). Be sure to keep your ticket handy until you complete the trip, you may need it for exiting the RER part of Denfert Rochereau and entering the Metro part. Also, if a RATP ticket checker asks, you must show a valid ticket or pay a penalty fare. Alight at Bir-Hakeim. All you need to do is say "Paris" to the ticket seller. the ticket will cost 8.40 euros.
    Access by Train
    The RER is Paris's system of fast suburban trains, and you'll be taking the one designated RER B3 into the city. Take Roissy CDG 2/TGV, in the Terminal 2 complex. In Terminal 2, take the Blue shuttle to the TGV-RER station. Note, the designation B3 refers to the branch of the B train system that goes to and from the airport (among other places). This is more important when you're coming back to the airport. In this case, be sure to get on a B3, not a B5.
    Don't worry about catching "RER B3" into the city. (Trains aren't designated like that regardless, they have 4 letter mission names which signify their final destination).
    Good luck and best regards,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Ben,

Your answer to my post lowered my anxiety considerably - THANK YOU once more!!

Gail

Very glad to hear it Gail. I hope to make people's travels to Paris filled with anticipation, rather than anxiety.

Have a great trip.

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Default Forgot to ask a few things...

Dear Ben,

I realized this morning that I still wish to know the following:

1. Is the pricing for the ticket from CDG to Bir-Hakeim (approx 8.4 Euros) for a one-way fare or roundtrip?

2. May I use a Visa Card to pay for the tickets?

3. What is the Four Letter Destination Code for the train to take me back to CDG? Is the name of the stop CDG or Charles DeGaulle Airport or does it have a different name?

4. Do you have a restaurant to recommend that is near the bir-Hakeim train station? If so, which direction would we go upon disembarking the train and what is the address of the restaurant. Are there any other conveniently located, notable sites to visit in that very brief period of time?

Appreciatively,
    Gail

1. Is the pricing for the ticket from CDG to Bir-Hakeim (approx 8.4 Euros) for a one-way fare or roundtrip?
    8,40€ is one way, good for both the RER and Metro parts of the trip.

2. May I use a Visa Card to pay for the tickets?
    According to the Paris Transit authority, CDG Airport credit card swipe machines do take foreign credit cards for payment. I myself have seen plenty of people having troubles with their non-European credit cards, so I would be hesitant to tell you: Yes, you can use your Visa card. Please, to be safe, retrieve some Euro cash from a bank machine at CDG Airport before you enter the lineup to purchase a RER billet Ile-de-France. These lineups can be long. And, regardless, Euro cash is always a good thing to have on hand when in France.

3. What is the Four Letter Destination Code for the train to take me back to CDG? Is the name of the stop CDG or Charles DeGaulle Airport or does it have a different name?
    Any RER B train leaving from Paris RER B stations (example: Gare du Nord, Denfert-Rochereau) with a Four Letter Desintation Code starting with the letter E will stop at CDG Airport. For example: EKLI.

The names of the two train stations at CDG airport will be Aéroport CDG 1 and Aéroport CDG 2 - TGV. The first station gives access to Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. The second station gives access to CDG Terminal 2. Aéroport CDG 2 - TGV will be the final stop along the RER B line. All passengers must descend from the train here, so you cannot miss this stop (unless you try really, really hard).

4. Do you have a restaurant to recommend that is near the bir-Hakeim train station? If so, which direction would we go upon disembarking the train and what is the address of the restaurant. Are there any other conveniently located, notable sites to visit in that very brief period of time?
    [urlnf=http://www.eng.cityvox.fr/home_france/HomePage:1w1pcluf]CityVox[/urlnf:1w1pcluf] and [urlnf=http://mmmm.free.fr/:1w1pcluf]mmmm![/urlnf:1w1pcluf] are two sites that I use to check restaurant reviews here in Paris. They're in French, but you get the idea with the stars and smiley face ratings on the restaurants.

Best of luck,

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

+ Reply to Thread