+ Reply to Thread

Thread: navigo decouverte

Default navigo decouverte

I am leaving for Paris this Friday August 15, and I want to know if I can purchase a navigo decouverte on Saturday August 16 for the week beginning Monday August 18. I realize it won't go into effect until Monday, but I will just buy a carnet of tickets for Sunday. I am staying until Sunday August 24 so I think this is my most cost effective way of travel.

Default Re: navigo decouverte

I am arriving in Paris on Monday 18th August and would like to complete the navigo decouverte application prior to arrival. Can this be done?

I never even thought of completing the application before I go. What a great idea, but is it possible?

Hi guys,

The Navigo Découverte card is purchased without application, on the spot at a ticket window. At the moment there's no way to purchase it from abroad, although you can purchase it at any time (e.g. Saturday when you arrive), charged or uncharged with a Carte Orange week/month pass. In the past I've purchased the card, without any Carte Orange on it, weeks in advance for friends who are planning a visit. Unfortunately, you can only do this in person. RATP/STIF doesn't offer any way for visitors do this ahead of their arrival.

The only thing you'll need is a 3.5x2.5cm face photo (smaller than wallet size) to use on the identification card that comes with the Navigo Découverte. As long as you have a photo, the ticket seller will be happy to sell you a card and load whatever type of Carte Orange week/month pass you'd like. Then you attach the photo onto the paper ID card, print your name, seal it and from that point on, your smart card is valid for use.

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.
    Essential reading: Paris Metro and Paris RER.

Thanks Ben, you have been helpful. So I am right in assuming that the most econmical way for us for the week is with a Navigo decouverte zones 1-2 and then to buy an Ile de France billet to go to Versailes one day? We are staying in the opera district so I am planning on taking the roissybus from cdg and just pay the 8.90 euros. I think that is the cheapest way all around for us, but let me know what you think as you may know a better way. On the first Saturday I will just buy either a mobilis or a carnet of 10 tickets. Thanks again for your help.
    Liz

You're correct, Navigo Découverte 2 Zone plus a billet Ile-de-France for Versailles, plus a carnet makes the most sense for your itinerary. The carnet will work nicely with the extra days before and after the week covered by the pass Navigo.

I've taken the Roissybus myself and as long as it's not rush hour, it's relatively efficient. Plus it picks-up/drops-off right beside Opera which is convenient for you.

Have a great trip. You might bump into me somewhere in Paris during the week!

Ben
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Hi Ben, thanks for your reply. I am so glad that I found out about the navigo decouverte. It is so much cheaper than the paris visite or the other multi day metro and rer passes. We arrive on Saturday morning, so I'm hoping the traffic won't be too bad into paris. I figured the roissybus was the simplest as we wouldn't have to transfer from the rer to the metro with our suitcases and as we are staying close to the opera then it will only be a short walk to the hotel. You never know we might see you at some point during our stay. We will be out and about seeing all the sights and shopping. Are you in Paris permanently, or for school or a job?
    Liz

Saturday morning from CDG to Paris in August... should be very quiet. Right now in Paris everyone is on vacation. Parking all over the city is free for the month of August (the month when everyone goes away on vacation).

I'm actually in France because of a girl. All the rest is sort of falling into place. Lucky me!

I have some friends from Canada coming into town next week so I'll prob. be showing them around. It's fun to play tourist guide now and then.

Be sure to catch a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower on the hour between 9 and 11pm if you can. You'll see what I mean
    Facebook Google+
    ParisByTrain.com
    Your online train guide.

Hi there, well we are canadians too and are thankful for your many helpful tips. Especially about the Eiffel Tower, that's something I didn't know about and will for sure check it out. Good luck with your french girl, I hope it all works out for you. See you next week while we are out and about in Paris lol.
    Liz

+ Reply to Thread